Wednesday, August 19, 2009

i would willingly die a cheesy-pouf death

i just left a work meeting. it ended around 8:05. my dear husband was at school, so i did what any reasonable under thirty would do on a wednesday evening alone - i stopped at trader joe's for a bottle of under $5 champagne (to replace the nice bottle i really planned to drink) and a box of cheesy-poufs (i believe the trader calls them caramelized onion and feta pastry bites. they are available in the frozen section).

i feel that to really know me, you must understand a few things
- i am lactose-intolerant, but i cannot live without the lactose.
- i drink champagne. the cheap kind.
- the items listed above are on my mind for approx. 85% of the time

and on this wednesday evening, even a call from my new husband, saying he was at my FAVORITE fro you spot (again, with the lactose) could not distract me from my cheesy-poufs and champagne.

this was no ordinary bottle of champagne. my delightful coworkers gave me a gift bottle of champagne as a wedding gift (and a Bissel steam mop, a dozen fresh eggs from a coworker's chickens, and a Kohl's gift card!) and it was the kind that costs more than $5. the kind that comes from France. and it is so delicious, i almost can't bear it. but it compliments the cheesy-poufs perfectly, so i drank it. most of it.

i have to interrupt, and say that i just realized that there was cat poop on a blanket over the back of the chair i was sitting in. wow. thanks, Mary Cherry. sorry that taking care of you and loving you for a decade isn't enough to keep you from crapping all over my life.

you see, i got engaged about a year ago, give or take a few months. and ever since i learned how, i have loved champagne and enjoyed it frequently. given that champagne is a symbol of a wedding and a celebration, i enjoyed champagne even more frequently as i anticipated my nuptials. so much so that i had to go on a champagne diet, and lay off the bottle of champagne i had taken to drinking every evening after work. since the wedding is now over, i feel that i can enjoy as much champagne as i want, since my husband has "bought the cow", as they say, and my champagne weight won't scare him off.

the point is, cheesy-poufs and paul laurent champagne (paid for by someone else) is the perfect meal to end a not as perfect work day. and it reminds me that life can be fixed by just a little cheesy, bubbly treat, and it's not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment