Monday, August 31, 2009

To cancel or not to cancel... Is this really such a hard question?

We had a revolutionary thought this weekend (pause for a moment to determine when, exactly, it happened that i became a "we".. but it is fair to say that my husband and i both came up with this solution to our tv "problem" around the same time)

What if we cancelled cable?

We recently (last week) decided we didn't really need to pay $36 for HBO, Showtime and STARZ or whatever it is. I do really miss having those extra pages of channels of my guide... but I also discovered at the same time that I was not that satisfied with the remaining programming. This is not to say that I didn't sit in front of "whatever's on" for hours of mindless entertainment... but with a few exceptions, I wasn't really too excited about what was on... so why should I continue to have cable?

In support of television, here is a list of what I AM excited about that is on tv:
project runway
models of the runway (it's an epidemic!)
real housewives of anywhere
madmen
true blood (though i have NO idea what is going on)
top chef
chopped
DIY Network

what i am not excited about, but i watch anyway...
wife swap
my antonio
kendra
the dish (to cover everything i haven't had a chance to watch)
reruns of 90210
dating in the dark
more to love
real chance of love, season 2
keeping up with the kardashians
do you see the problem??
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE TV. The problem is that I love it, maybe too much, and maybe at the expense of my actual life.

My husband just said to me "i think i just want to ride my bike and take naps in the grass or something" ... and at the risk of sounding like a hippie... it sounds fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment